June 3, 2014

When the sun comes down on you

what can you do?

That was what we thought when Jon's mother had a series of medical issues that started with a fall, then giddy spells, the weak legs and the 1 week stay at the hospital.

Suddenly I looked at the 72 years old with a different light. Somewhat warmer light.

Since I became an Aung, we have always lived with her. She is quiet and shy and very highly opinionated in her strong, quiet ways. I would say we have lived quite well together, because she has pretty much left us alone. Her independence and her love for her child would be what I will remember her by if the fateful day comes.

We are glad that the fateful day did not come as yet, that the Lord had been compassionate enough to allow more good years of her with us. However, suddenly thoughts of the roles reversing and that we have to take an active role is not one that does not send shivers down my spine. We are looking at a domestic helper in the years to come and as well as more medical options for her. All these comes not only with additional costs to our already pretty hard commitments but emotionally and physically, it will be rather draining. This is woe of an only child. Well, if Aung had experienced 100% of everything that need not be shared by another sibling, it is then right that he also take 100% of his mother in her golden days. This past few weeks made my MIL a more emotional person than a logical person that she normally is - she praises me more often and behaves more affectionate with the grandchildren. I wonder at the end of my time on earth, how would I be?

The dragon old lady with her dragon warrior.




When the sun comes down on you, well you can also run. ( lame, I know but I am lame after the run too)

Sundown 2014 was the first run after The new 2.4km attempt. Since January this year, I have been trying to keep up with an exercise regimen. Thanks to my new school that comes with almost everything (gym, pool, track & colleagues that are exercise freaks), I am somewhat conditioned to exercise. Of cos, no one exercises for the sake of health! There has been some results although I guess the results might be better if I change my diet. But, that is never going to happen. Laksa & prata is my staple for bf and although I know this will lead me to never changing my wardrobe but at least I stay true to my local delights.

Anyway, my goal for Sundown 10km was not to stop running. Previously when I did my first 10km 4 years ago, I stopped at 6km. This time round I never stopped running till the very end. I was slow, it was more like a slow jog but I am happy and proud of what I had achieve.

So what made the difference in 4 years? I guess they were:

1. Sundown was really more cooling. There was no harsh sun that really almost killed anyone. I was baked, scorched and miserable. This time, I could still experience some bouts of cold breeze and without the glaring sun, you also feel like running home to sleep sooner!

2. Better runners. I ran with my colleagues who are far better runners. They ran way ahead of me but were super encouraging with my slow but steady strategy. Knowing that they are ahead of me, made me wanna run so that they will not wait for me, screaming, "Where is Becks? Did she run away to some fried chicken store?"

3.Six months of regular exercising. I made it a point to go to the gym or run at least twice a week. Guess my heart got stronger and my bacon legs were more resilient.

Photo
Before flag off with my mates. I am the only FAT one.


When the sun sets, I know the sun will rise again.

 

No comments: